September 13, 2008

Worries I've Tried Sorting Out


Child worries:
THE DARK
night
dark storms
glowing red ends of the cigarettes then crying out

Then the adolescent worries:
TRUE LOVE
will he notice I love him
am I too skinny to love
seeking love requires more than standing super invisibly and quietly in a crowd on the playground
this may not be in the current repertoire

The real teenager worries mount:
REALLY, REALLY TRUE LOVE
am I a scintillating conversationalist
will someone will love me perfectly like Rhett Butler
will he kick in the door and read aloud my rated PG diary and call me a slut because I love John Lennon

The real adult true absolutely frightening worries:
FUNDAMENTAL LIFE WORRIES
air
water
earth
animals and birds
age
finding all the former worries didn't matter


Here's where the Lord's Prayer interrupts the cycling worrying, ruminating, swirling mind.
Say it over and over and over and over and over and over until you fall asleep. Rest and rethink everything the next day.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is poetry, my friend.
xo