June 13, 2008

I forget what I'm doing.


I'm always forgetting what I'm doing.

Today, I'm going to meet D at C's new digs, then head across town to ride.

It's going to be hot, so I gotta remember to hydrate, hydrate, several hours before riding. Gotta remember to get started on the Gatorade. I have to be prepared for riding in the hot, hot sun.

But first I'm weeding, I've got plenty of time.

I know, I know, I should put on gloves, protection from scratches and bug bites, not to mention filth under my nails, (yuck!) but I'm only doing a tiny bit of pulling, then I'll quit so fast! So, no need for gloves; takes too much time getting 'em on and off.

Wait! Quick! Just let me transplant this one little sunflower. First I'll move the primrose out of the way because those sunflowers get huge. I'm thinking, "You should put on those gloves." But no, I'm just doing this one little sunflower, don't need gloves for one tiny thing.

Somehow it's been and hour and a half! 47 weeds, 15 sunflowers and 20 bug bites later I'm due at C's in 15 minutes. Quick! Get the hands washed. I gotta hydrate! Gulp that Gatorade, wash it down with water, alternate, alternate! Did I eat lunch, did I eat breakfast? Quick, gobble down some potato salad!

Slap on the sunscreen. But what about my idea for a housewarming gift? Quick! Stuff a pot with a bunch of plants I pulled out. Stuff 'em in, add soil, water, add mulch, water then more water. Get it into the car! Quick! Wash up! Scrub dirt off hands and feet! (I also forgot to put on my gardening shoes, it was only going to be one bitty weed, remember?)

Call D, "I'm late!" Drive! (not fast, don't wanna waste gas) Park! Yank open the car door to retrieve the potted plant. Watch it dump upside down onto the curb. Stuff everything back in, stagger to the apt. Visit! "I've only got 10 mins, 'cuz I'm late for riding...oh, what a cute little apartment!" Really cute! Now I'm taking too long, enjoying the neat little house. Gabbing.

Quick! Drive (slowly!) to the ranch. Jump out! I'm late! (Why does this always happen to me!?) Shame hovers. My new riding instructor is disappointed, it's the 4th time I'm late. (7th?) She needs to know if I'm not riding so someone else can ride.

Getting the horse ready will take up half the lesson. It's hot, hot, hot! And I'm not hydrated enough; gonna die in the sun. Decision time. OK. "I want to pay for always forgetting what I'm doing. How 'bout a lesson by watching and listening, rather than doing?" She agrees.

I'll watch the other riders and I'll listen and learn.
I'll pay for the lesson...the watching lesson.

I learned a lot. She's a good teacher. Now I see why she says, "Don't look down. I promise I'll tell you if your horse has disappeared." We all seem to want to look down. We're supposed to look up...to see where we're going. Not down; the horse wonders what you're looking at; loses concentration; he wants to know what's down there. Now I get it, I gotta look up!

I'll look up next time...
when I get to the lesson on time...
fully hydrated and ready to ride.


No comments: