November 3, 2008

The Laughing Sisters

............

I've lost a Laughing Sister.
Grief fills my insides, hurting my guts.


Our families, our lives were similar:
Intense.
Wonderful.
Difficult.
Overwhelming.
Brilliant.
Tough.
Sometimes secret.
But we knew what they knew and they knew what we knew within that isolation.

There were two sisters for my sister and me.
We were shadows.
The older sisters full of ideas, serious and maybe a little bit know-it-all.
The younger ones willing, fun and funny and blonde.

We lost our brothers 4 and 3 years ago,
same thing,
same way.

I'm feeling wrung out.
Not fair.
Not fair.

Seeking solid ground, I back up.
I search for empathy and comfort.
In King David's Psalms I find intimate understanding.

Psalm 42
Why are you cast down, oh my soul?

As the deer longs for streams of water,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.

In Psalm 55
Oh, that I had wings like a dove!
For then would I fly away, and be at rest.

..............

1 comment:

baffle said...

Grieving reminds you that you have loved and that there are very special people who are deserving of that love.

Your pain is heartfelt. I send you a big hug.