February 21, 2010


Chagall







Gauguin 




Delacroix

(Genesis 32:4-36:43)

The Struggle of Jacob

While Jacob is preparing for his epic showdown with his estranged brother Esau, he has a bizarre confrontation with someone totally unexpected:
Jacob remained alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. He [the man] saw that he could not defeat him, and he touched the joint of his thigh. Jacob's hip became dislocated from wrestling with him. And he [the man] said, 'Let me go for dawn is breaking.' He [Jacob] said, 'I will not release you unless you bless me.' He [the man] said 'What is your name?' He said, 'Jacob.' He said, 'Your name shall no longer be called Jacob rather Israel, for you have struggled with God and with man and you have been victorious.' Jacob asked, and said, 'Please tell me your name.' He said, 'Why are you asking for my name?' And he blessed him there.




No comments: